- Employer: Vancouver Fire & Radius Security
- Location: Richmond, BC
- Job Type: Full
- Job Status: Permanent Time
- Category: Accounting
- Sub Category: N/A
- Job ID: 188
- Posting Date: Apr 12, 2023
- Posting Expiry: N/A
- Contact Name: Stephanie Lowe
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Phone: 6046440870
- Contact Fax: N/A
Who are We?
Vancouver Fire and Radius Security is BC’s largest, longest-established fire protection, fire safety, commercial security and monitoring company. As a family-owned business, we believe a healthy work environment begins with mutual respect, accepting responsibility, and of course, having fun!
The Assistant Controller will assist in the daily operations of the Finance Department, participate with monthly and yearly financial reporting, as well as assist with various special projects for the company’s three business units. Your contributions will help leaders understand the financial performance of their respective departments so they can make informed decisions. What you will do day-in and day-out, will provide information to empower leaders.
Why does our team LOVE Working for us?
- Job stability! Our company was deemed an essential service and we were lucky to continue to serve our communities during the pandemic. Our company is continuing to grow year over year, and we have exciting expansion plans for the future!
- Extended health and dental benefits
- Monthly profit sharing bonus program
- Charitable donation matching
- Gym membership discount for our staff and their spouses
- Access to the BenefitHub, the world's largest selection of employee discounts, voluntary benefits, and rewards. Looking for a discount on a new TV, dog food, or trip to the Bahamas? BenefitHub will have you covered!
- We have an in-house mechanic, so you can have your car serviced while you work (he offers preferred rates)
- Fun-loving team environment with various company events (virtual gaming, spirit weeks, community involvement/volunteer activities, etc.)
- Ability to make an impact – we welcome your ideas and love when our team members get to see their initiatives come to fruition!
- Learning and development opportunities to grow within the business.
- You have a voice. We empower our people to bring forward suggestions to improves processes.
- Central location located right next to the river, with a lovely walking path available on lunch breaks. Minutes drive away from Queensborough shopping center.
- We have a strong brand reputation, and people are proud to work for a place that is a staple in our communities
Monthly Financial Responsibilities
- Prepare and analyze financial statements for the company, its legal entities, holding company, SG&A business units, along with Operations Accountant and Junior Accountant.
- Oversee meetings with SG&A business managers on a quarterly basis, to discuss actual v/s budget.
- Assist with preparation of monthly consolidated statements.
- Review and/or prepare working papers and schedules at year-end for external auditors; Review yearly financials and corporate tax returns.
- Prepare monthly bank margin reports and quarterly bank covenant calculation
- Maintain trial balance and chart of accounts, especially Balance Sheet accounts for all our companies.
- Perform and review monthly bank reconciliations, intercompany and GL reconciliations.
- Prepare adjusting journal entries at month-end and year-end
- Review and/or prepare monthly GST, PST, Texas Sales tax returns, monthly tax instalment payments
- Ensure compliance with local, provincial, and federal government reporting requirements.
- Review general ledger entries for accuracy and ensure they are processed in a timely manner
- Asset Panda RG Equipment: monthly updates and amortization
- Overseeing management and maintenance of fixed assets schedule.
- Taking initiative in building, streamlining, and assisting in month-end processes
- Ensure internal controls are followed and provide recommendations for any improvements
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned by management
Accounts Payable (AP) Management
- Reconcile monthly TD Visa expenses.
- Oversee AP function and work with AP team to:
- Ensure timely vendor payments (check, wires, interac transfers)
- Manage employee expense reports (manual & expensify system)
- Employee corporate credit card reconciliations and payments
- AP reconciliation, accruals, and assisting with general AP- related tasks
- Back up for AP team members
- AP process improvements.
- Treasury/Cash flow: Manage and maintain cash flow.
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets.
- Assist in the preparation/reporting of KPI’s.
- Train and mentor junior members of our accounting team
- Prepare & update Accounting SOPs with new procedures/changes
- Other tasks assigned by managers/Vice President Finance/Controller
Technical & Expertise
- CPA designation or close to completion
- 3-5 years experience in a similar role
- Advance operations of Excel (Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, Formulas)
- Experience with multi-branch, currency & entity company structure
- Project Accounting experience beneficial
- AP experience, PO’s and 3-way matching (PO, Receipt, invoice) beneficial.
- Consolidations experience would be an asset.
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal
- Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Critical thinker with a strong ability to troubleshoot when problems arise
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Be curious to explore, investigate and learn all aspects of company – you must have natural tendency to dig to the root of a situation.
- Embrace change & growth, and initiate continuous improvements
- Be a great teammate, have fun & build strong relationships with internal & external customers